Thursday, February 12, 2015

OCD

Good Design Vs. Bad Design








Burt's Bees-
Simple. Small, compact enough to fit into your pocket. Yellow, gender neutral. However, some may suggest it leans more towards the feminine side. It's not fancy, it has a reputation of being natural and high quality because it is priced higher than a similar tube of Blistex. Peppermint flavored, showcases the ingredient list, it is covered in information and insignia, like the recycling emblem, the rabbit emblem to display that they are against animal testing, and then the Natural Products Association Label, their branding and design is the product, they advertise by showing the eco-friendliness of the product. Burt's is really easy to say, it rolls of the tongue and can be shortened, like "Hey have you seen my burt's?" And it's produced in North Carolina so that's a huge plus.








Bad- I have washed about 65 of these in my pants pocket each year, destroying clothes in the dryer. It is so compact that I don't notice it in my pants pockets. The cap can be difficult to take off if I have lotion on my hands. Very hard to spot if left in my purse, I have to dig around for it because it can get nestled underneath things and hidden because of it's size.




































Eos-
Pragnanz, we appreciate the simple sphere shape. It is designed for a comfortable grip. Easier to spot in a purse or backpack. Pastel colors. Very feminine. Outside of the packing, the sphere simply says, Eos on the top and bottom of the lip. Wouldn't look right in a pants pocket so the risk of washing and drying this product is lessoned, and the colors make it easier to spot and it is larger than a regular tube of chapstick. It is organic as well, and this particular one is sweet mint flavored. Hard to lose the cap, because it has a grippy material, and it is molded to fit the hand and fingers.








Bad- It doesn't fit in my pocket, and I don't always carry a purse or bag, so it defeats the purpose having it when I need it. It's bulky, and takes up more space in my bags, it uses more plastic to produce. My brother refuses to use it because of it's shape and has compared it to genitalia. So it is possibly geared more towards females. Takes both hands to use.




No comments:

Post a Comment